What’s kale got to do with it?
I woke up on January 1 with a serious craving for kale. Luckily I had some sitting on my kitchen counter and my husband and I devoured a big bunch of it for breakfast. I made this very simple version of boiled kale:
- Rip kale into bite size pieces, discard stems.
- Fill your sink with fresh water and wash the kale by submerging and swooshing it around
- Fill medium size pot with about 1 “ of water and add kale
- Bring to a boil, constantly stirring the kale so that all parts come in contact with the boiling water – cook for about 5 minutes
- Taste the kale to make sure it is tender but not overcooked (one way to tell is by the color: the color of the kale should remain vibrantly green – once it turns olive green it’s surely overcooked and will not taste so great anymore)
- Pour off cooking water (save as a soothing mineral rich alkaline drink for yourself or use to water your house plants after it has cooled down)
- Add a sprinkle of soy sauce and a drizzle of olive oil to the kale, toss and serve immediately
I paired the boiled kale with baked eggs and it was extremely delicious and satisfying – it totally hit the spot in other words.
Now, the reason I was craving kale was probably a combinations of things:
- I love kale and I love weekend or holiday breakfasts that include leafy greens and eggs. It has become a tradition in our home.
- Kale, as all leafy greens are abundant with minerals and vitamins. They are the perfect detoxing, energizing and rebuilding food.
- After all the heavy holiday foods kale felt like the perfect balance food.
- After a generous dose of sweets over the holidays which most likely led to the loss of minerals and vitamins, kale was the perfect antidote and replenishment.
- Wanting to start the New Year in high spirits – kale provided uplifting and vibrantly fresh energy.
Is it not amazing, what food can do for you? It can support, balance, provide pleasure and heal you. Using food with awareness and intention can make a huge difference in how you feel and how you perform. Learning to pay attention to your body’s messages and cravings provides powerful information for seekers of balance, sustenance, well-being and happiness.
It is something everybody can learn. And I’d be thrilled to help you along in this process:
For my local peeps, I am offering two FREE Introductory Talks and a 6-session Breakthrough Wellness Workshop, which addresses just that:
FREE Introductory Talks
- Supporting your daily activities by eating with awareness and intention
- Getting to know the foods that provide sustained energy, vitality and rejuvenation
- Preventing dips in concentration, mood swings and diabetes
- Losing weight and keeping it off without dieting
- Protecting your heart to live an active life for years to come
- Nourishing yourself with easy to make delicious wholesome meals
take place January 10 at 7:30 pm at The Living Room
in Cold Spring, NY and on January 14 at 6:00 pm at the Beacon Natural Market
If you cannot make it to one of the Free Talks, here is a recording of a similar lecture:
The Breakthrough Wellness Workshop
starts January 24 at 7:30 pm at The Living Room in Cold Spring, NY. Remaining sessions take place January 31, February 7, March 7, 14 and 21.
Investment in your health:
Early Bird: $227 (pay by January 15)
After 1/15: $267
Single session: $50
For more information click here
To register call 646–241–8478 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To book the Breakthrough Wellness Workshop click here