Happy Valentine's Day!
Two scrumptious recipes to incorporate more chocolate into your life
makes about 18 macaroons
2 cups shredded coconut
½ teaspoons salt
¼ cup coconut milk
¼ cup maplesyrup
1 teaspoon almond extract
6 oz (170 g) dark chocolate (70 percent cacao)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In one bowl mix shredded coconut with salt.
- In another bowl mix coconut milk, maplesyrup and almond extract. Pour this mixture over shredded coconut and mix until evenly moistened.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and melt by placing the pieces in a heat-resistant bowl inside a pot of boiling water, or use a double boiler.
- Pour melted chocolate into the coconut mixture and stir until well blended.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place 1 tablespoon size macaroons on it. Gently press the macaroons with your fingertips to form a little pointed macaroon shape.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350° F.
Original recipe by my colleague Terry Walters from her book Clean Start
Vanilla Cupcakes with Raw Chocolate Frosting
makes 24 mini cupcakes
½ cup coconut flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Raw Chocolate Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Combine dry ingredients in one bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix wet ingredients with a wire whisk.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk with wire whisk until smooth.
- Grease mini muffin tin with coconut oil (make sure the bottom is well greased) and fill with batter (about 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of batter per cupcake). With a spoon push the batter into the tin and smooth out top.
- Bake for 24 minutes at 350° F
1 ripe avocado
2 tablespoons cacao powder
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Puree all ingredients in a blender or mix with hand mixer until smooth.
- Apply to cupcakes once they have cooled off a bit.
Original recipe by my colleague Stanzi Allan Pouthier