A vegetarian version of Borscht
serves 4 - 6
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 red beets, cut into small cubes
2 carrots, cut into half rounds
½ cabbage, chopped
1 – 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- In a large soup pot sautee onion in olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add beets, carrots and cabbage and sautee another 5 minutes.
- Add enough water to cover vegetables, apple cider vinegar and bayleaves and bring to a boil.
- Cook at medium temperature until beets are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream.