Carrot Potato Gratin
11 inch Ø quiche pan, serves 4 - 6
This is a very simple yet elegant way to serve up potatoes and carrots
250 g (8 oz) large carrots
250 g (8 oz) small potatoes
100 ml (a little under a half a cup) heavy cream
150 ml (2/3 cup) sour cream
salt, pepper to taste
7 pinches freshly ground nutmeg
80 g (3 oz) coarsely grated Grana Padano cheese
20 g (1 oz) coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- Heat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Scrub potatoes and carrots with a brush and slice thinly. Cut the carrots on a diagonal, this way their surface becomes bigger and they become about the same size as the potato slices.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, heavy and sour cream. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Butter the quiche pan and place vegetables alternating carrot and potato slices in a circular pattern slightly overlapping each other in the pan.
- Pour the egg cream mixture over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese and chopped hazelnuts on top.
- Cover the pan with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the parchment paper and bake for another 10–15 minutes, or until the gratin becomes golden.
Enjoy with a mixed green salad.